There are many ways to volunteer for the DSPCA:
- If you are looking to do School Work Experience you will need to contact our education team, read more on School Work Experience here.
- You must have transportation directly to our rescue and rehoming centre. All bus routes only come within 1/2 to 2 miles from our rescue and rehoming centre and there are no footpaths on and leading up to Mount Venus Road so for the safety of our volunteers we ask that volunteers either drive themselves or get a lift directly to the centre.
- For insurance purposes all volunteers must be 16 years old or older. We cannot take any volunteers who are under 16 even with adult supervision.
- New Health & Safety regulations require anyone working in Animal Welfare must have a current Tetanus shot so all new volunteers must be up to date with their Tetanus requirements before they can start volunteering at the centre.
Garda Vetting is now compulsory for anyone volunteering at the DSPCA – as a result, the application process can typically take 2-3 weeks to complete from when we have the following;
- Completed Volunteer Application Form
- Proof of ID
- Payment of the Garda Vetting Fee (€ 5.00)
Note: We cannot submit the application for Garda Vetting until all of the above have been completed.
Additionally, all volunteers must attend an orientation morning, these are typically run every two weeks on a Saturday or Wednesday, there is one run on the first Saturday of each month (excluding January).
- You can complete the online version of the Volunteer Application Form at the following link here.
- Once you have completed the online application form, we then require that you visit the DSPCA shelter to sign the form together with the appropriate ID here and also to pay the Garda Vetting Fee (5 euro).
- It often suits many of our volunteers to complete the online volunteer form, then attend one of the orientation events and bring their ID and pay the Garda Vetting Fee at that stage.
If you would prefer to print and complete the volunteer application form by hand, you can download if from here and drop it into the DSPCA with the relevant ID here. For the printable DSPCA Volunteer Application form here.
For people under 18 years of age a parental consent form is needed for the Garda Vetting Form as well, please print off this form here.
If you are interested in Volunteering please email Barry at firstname.lastname@example.org and he will email you back details.