Neutering your pet is part of being a responsible pet owner and is important for you, your pet and your community. Neutering not only reduces the number of unwanted animals who enter shelters all over the country, it may also prevent medical and behavioural problems from developing in your pet allowing them to lead a longer, healthier and happier life.
Benefits of Neutering
- Testicular cancer is common in young male dogs and statistics show up to 27% of dogs will develop it, neutering your male dog will reduce this risk.
- Neutering can reduce frustrations and anti-social behaviour when you are out walking your dog or allowing them socialise in dog parks.
- Un-neutered dogs are more likely to get into altercations with other dogs.
- Un-neutered dogs are more likely to stray and roam.
- Most doggie daycare and boarding facilities will not allow un-neutered pets.
- Neutering can prevent unwanted pregnancies and reduce the number of homeless stray and feral cat populations.
Subsidised NeuteringThe DSPCA run a Mobile Vet Clinic in a number of locations in the Dublin area. If you are in receipt of Social Welfare Payments you can avail of this discounted neutering service for your pet. Please check out details on our Mobile Vet Clinic page.
Trap Neuter Release is a programme where members of the public concerned about the welfare of local feral cats can avail of subsidised neutering. Feral cats can be brought to the DSPCA Monday to Thursday by appointment only and neutered for just €25 per cat. All feral cats must arrive at the shelter in a cat trap NOT a pet carrier. We can provide cat traps but we do require a €100 cash deposit for the trap which is returned to you when you return the trap to us. For more information and to check the availability of a cat trap email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (01) 499 4721.
Special Cat Neutering Programmes - Neutering Programmes for 2022 have yet to be confirmed.
The DSPCA run special cat neutering programmes during the year. Please check back again for confirmed programmes for 2022.
Horse Castration Programmes
*Please note: Our Horse Castration Programme is currently not operating. We hope to start this back up and running in November 2022. Please check back for updates. Snip n’ Chip Programme: Owners pay just €100 to have their stallions castrated at UCD Veterinary Hospital, microchipped and supplied with a horse passport. For more information email email@example.com
Castration Clinic: 10 – 20 stallions can be castrated in a day by fully qualified vets at a cost of just €50. To find out more details and to get information of the dates and locations of these clinics email here.
Mums & Puppies Programme
If your female dog has just had a litter of puppies, we will neuter your dog free of charge when she is ready and help rehome her puppies safely and responsibly. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org