The DSPCA offer work experience for transition year work experience or community service students. It is a great way to get hands on experience on the work we do and to see if working with animals in the right career path for those thinking about a future in veterinary or animal care.
We are pleased to say that we are taking bookings for the school year September 2021 to June 2022.
All places for work experience/community service are reserved for students who are existing Junior Members of the DSPCA. Check that the weeks you are looking for work experience are available before you sign up as a Junior Member to avoid disappointment.
Requirements For Work Experience
- Work Experience in the DSPCA is carried out strictly on a block week basis, i.e. Monday to Friday, 8.45am to 4.30pm only.
- Students must have transport to the DSPCA. Buses do not go all the way to the shelter and the roads leading up to the shelter doe not have safe footpaths.
- Unfortunately, we cannot take students suffering from animal hair allergies as the placement requires working in confined spaces with multiple dogs and cats.
- Students do not have to be 16 years of age to apply for work experience/community service.
- Students must have an up to date tetanus shot.
- Students must be insured by their school.
- All students must be a DSPCA Junior Membership.