We are delighted that you are thinking of adopting a pet from the DSPCA. Due to Covid restrictions, the shelter is closed to the public however we are still carrying out virtual adoptions. The website is up to date with animals available for adoption and we update it as more become available. We have been inundated with families looking to adopt a puppy and have a waiting list. We will not be adding to this list until further notice. We apologise to those who are disappointed but please be patient with us at this time as we are doing our best to help families who wish to adopt.
The Adoption Process
View the pets available for adoption
- Complete the “Register Your Interest” form for a specific pet
- If your application is successful, an adoption consultant will call you.
- If your application is successful an appointment will made for you to visit the shelter to meet the cat/dog that you applied for.
- A Trial Adoption will be arranged with you to take the pet home with you for a weeks trial (normally on the same day as step 3)
- When the trial adoption week is complete the adoption paperwork will be completed and sent to you via email.
All dog adoptions require a virtual home check.
If you are applying to adopt a dog and you already have an existing dog, an appointment for a dog meet may be required.
The adoption fee for a dog is €185 and the adoption fee for a cat is €99.
The adoption fee for small furries and other animal can be discussed in person.
The adoption fee covers the following:
Microchipping - Your pet will be microchipped and the microchip will be registered
Neutering - Your pet will be neutered
Pet Insurance - You will receive 6 weeks free pet insurance with Allianz (only for pets under 5 years old)
Flea and worming - Your pet will be up to date with flea and worming treatments
Vaccinations - Your pet will receive its’ primary vaccinations