The welfare of an animal includes its physical and mental state and we consider that good animal welfare implies both fitness and a sense of well-being.
- Freedom from hunger and thirst: by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigour.
- Freedom from discomfort: by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.
- Freedom from pain, injury or disease: by prevention through rapid diagnosis and treatment.
- Freedom to express normal behaviour: by providing sufficient space and proper facilities.
- Freedom from fear and distress: by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering.